Director of Cross-border VAT
Julian Borley is Milsted Langdon’s Director of VAT. He began his professional career working at HM Customs & Excise, now known as HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), mainly working within their VAT enquiries team.
After three years with HMRC he moved to Ernst & Young’s London office.
Over the two decades that followed he has worked as a VAT Consultant for a number of mid-tier regional accountancy firms based across the country in Reading, Worcester and Oxford.
He joined Milsted Langdon in 2017 bringing with him a wealth of VAT expertise. Julian provides high-level VAT advice on a wide range of complex issues and his expertise allows him to assist business with VAT efficient transactions and structures.
He has built up an extensive technical knowledge over more than 20 years’ specialising in VAT and takes a proactive and practical approach when supporting businesses.
His specialist advice has helped businesses to successfully argue against HMRC decisions, allowing them to achieve substantial VAT savings and compensation.
The kind of work that he has performed in the past includes:
- Advising on numerous land and property deals. Including on whether purchases of land can be treated as VAT free transfers of going concerns
- Advising on building projects – specifically in determining whether the lower and zero-rates of VAT are appropriate in respect of the costs incurred
- Advising a number of charity clients as to whether VAT registration was required and if it is, the extent to which VAT can be recovered on expenditure
- Advising educational clients in respect of VAT recovery including in respect of Capital Projects
- Liaising on behalf of clients with HMRC in respect of VAT inspections and in respect of specific VAT liability issues
- Carrying out VAT reviews for clients to ensure they are informed of risks and opportunities